Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Donut Power

My last post made it seem like I do all my writing at home. True, I try not to spend everything on earning rights to a cafe table. But, I'm quite a public writer. In college I spent more time in cafes than the library; that's where all my S.A.T. teaching money went. Where we live has tons of cafes, several a short walk away.

But here's a new thing - doughnuts.

There's a place in town called Rocket Donuts. The owner loves donuts and 1950's sci-fi movies. Wacky black & white oldies play non-stop on several screens, and there's a life-sized rocket with flashing lights outside. How amazing to combine passions into work.

I've finished two YA novels and am returning a middle grade novel that has an element of travel between worlds. Where better to launch my return to the project than Rocket Donuts. I got sugared up, rocked out to Beach Boys and cool cowboy oldies that I vaguely recognized, and wrote. One of my nephews is into all things outer space, so I got him a Rocket Donut t-shirt last summer. Maybe I should get a t-shirt for myself for my new writing-wear.

Three cheers for donuts and whatever propels our intergalactic writing travel.

What propels you?

(Thank you to the Sweet Travel blog for the Rocket Donuts photos and cool pastry posts.)


16 comments:

  1. Aside from coffee - lots and lots of coffee - I'm propelled by different things depending on the day. The only downside to my favorite coffee shop is they don't have the greatest snack selection. If I'm starving, I'll have a bagel. If I've missed a meal, I'll get a spinach and cheese breakfast sandwich. If I'm really pissed at my writing for the day, I'll treat myself to a snickerdoodle or piece of carrot cake, but those moments are rare. I don't crave sweets often. However, I have been known to walk into random bars and collect myself. I'll order beers and pig out on junk food - nachos, wings, chicken fingers, fries, etc. It's funny; the places I frequent most often know exactly what I'm doing. "Don't bother Paul; he's reflecting."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome! People here have less of an affinity will quality; they prefer quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this is Freemont? It looks like Freemont, but it can't be. I'd remember this place just like Rain City Video and Sonic Boom records.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of Rocket Donuts from the Travel Channel I think. (And that donut looks AWESOME.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks awesome! And I happen to love donuts. I had a cake donut with sprinkles for breakfast today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work at home and away. I've done a lot of work in libraries (adore libraries!) and cyber cafes, as well as real cafes.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun place! :) The doughnut in the pic looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. Totally inspiring place to write MG world traveling book. And a great place to blog about. I wouldn't eat too many of those doughnuts though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that doughnut in the first pic looks sinful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That place looks great. I could hang out there. Do they have apple fritters?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you included a photo, because that place looks awesome! It's a good thing I live in the boonies, because I'd have trouble resisting a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm back to tell you I have a blog award for you at my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the theme and the amazing rocket planted outside the building, but I'm afraid donuts would clog my arteries and stop the flow of light and juice to my brain, causing a major blockage and all writing would come to a halt leaving me passed out or dead, hopefully just sleeping for a long while, and so as a conscientious objector to high cholesterol, I choose as my intergalactic propulsion through the blogosphere or any other area of capturing the stream of consciousness in verbal form, words on paper or lit-up language on the monitor ...drum roll...COFFEE!!! Let the preceding run-on sentence be testimony of its force!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hands down, that is the best donut shop name I have ever heard. I want to go there and buy a t-shirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That's what I call a real donut.

    What a great place to write. I'm usually at home in my study. I've tried writing in cafes and libraries but always end up people watching - or eating donuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Three cheers for a great run-on sentence!

    ReplyDelete