Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Boldly Ourselves

A few evenings ago, seals were swimming near our apartment. Seals have always made me smile. This week, they called out a better part of me, the bold part that liked seals so much that as a 6th grader I read A Seal Called Andre, wrote the author and asked for materials for a report. The same part that of me that contacted playwright Brian Friel after seeing his version of Fathers and Sons and asked if I could interview him in Ireland for my university senior project. The seals reminded me that it can be natural for me to go boldly forward.
That seal up there makes me smile. It's boldly itself. Like we all could be. What does that mean for me? That I'm becoming boldly excited and playful about querying? Kinda.

Thank you, seals, for the reminder. How about you? How are you boldly yourself?

And, of, course CONGRATULATIONS to author Elana Johnson, on her novel POSSESSION. boldly out this week!

(photo from Mike Baird's Flickr page)

14 comments:

  1. Yay for Elana!

    I love that seal! I'm not bold AT ALL. Like, the thing that you did with that author when you were a child? I would have been waaaay too chicken. But I hope you boldly send out those queries :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching seals out my window would certainly be more inspiring than squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm now officially in love with that bold little seal :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fantastic picture. I wish I could see seals more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was more boldly myself. But I'm not. Need to work on that!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. When I was a kid, my favorite non-fiction book had a cover with a beautiful picture of a spotted baby seal. Seals are awesomely adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that seal is gorgeous!! I think I needed that reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great little seal. I'm inspired by what I see in nature, be they animals or just an awesome scenery. Life is short. Be bold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dammit. I go away for a few days and I miss all the fun!

    I am boldly working on WESTON GETS HIS WISE when I know I *should* be working on other things. (Like reading LUCKY!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seals. I've seen many at eye-level from a kayak. Good luck with the querying!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, I love seals and sea lions. I hope the querying is going well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What I wanna know is how did seals get so good at playing with balls? Have you seen the Eddie Izzard sketch where he talks about that? It really got me thinking (and grinning). I mean, it's a mystery, isn't it?

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww. I love that little seal.

    Good luck with the querying process!

    ReplyDelete